Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Wow...inclusion can be so easy!

After learning of Kyle’s negative experiences with inclusion in high school marching band, a dear young member of my church encouraged me to bring Kyle to youth group. “I believe that Kyle is unique in his own way and should not be judged for that. He has a great heart and attitude and they don’t know what they are missing out on,” she texted me in part. About youth group, she said “I can personally give you my word he will not be judged there and will be included.” Then, the youth leader told me, with no seeming hesitation at all, “We would absolutely LOVE to have Kyle in youth group.”

So, still a bit gun-shy after the previous failed attempt, I took Kyle to youth group this past Sunday. Nervous and knowing he’d need help, I stayed and tried to be unobtrusive. I was assured I was welcome to stay…or go. They played a game way over Kyle’s physical abilities – but they handed him the rope, showed him how to hang on, let him try, stopped when he fell, and cheered him with “good job” when he got back up. He sat at their table, hung at their couches, and was generally accepted. It was remarkable in its lack of remarkableness. It was just another day in youth group, just another kid with his own story melding into the crowd of teenagers. It was just another imperfect soul being welcomed into the Body of Christ – something all churches should be easily good at, but something that, unfortunately, not all churches are.

It struck me, then, the other side of what I’d written previously – that inclusion is not easy. When inclusion involves trying to make it work, trying to convince people that it can work, trying, trying, trying to get through a wall of uncertainty or resistance, it’s not easy. It’s hard. Probably far too hard. But when done well, it’s pretty darn easy. It’s a matter of welcoming new people, inviting them to do things with you, helping them when they need it and encouraging them from time to time.  Not rocket science.

Kyle knows the difference for sure. After the struggles in band, Kyle said no to continuing that activity. But after youth group, I asked him if he liked it, and if he wanted to go back, and both times he said “yay.” He clapped. I join him in applauding the young people and leaders who understand we’re all imperfect…and for being such an awesome, easy example of the unfailing, all-inclusive love of Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment