Friday, February 3, 2017

Too much advocacy is still not enough

I have posted a lot of scary stuff for people with disabilities lately. You may feel it's too much, that I worry too much, that I should trust God. I do trust God. In the larger scheme of things we are all right. But here's a little analogy to help you understand why I'm upset, and why I share these things and beg you to call your senators and representatives.

Suppose your child, because of who he/she is (a person who wears glasses, an artist, a football player, etc.), is being told he won't be able to have health insurance, or if he will, it will be inadequate and more than you can afford, and he needs that insurance to stay alive. Suppose her education is about to be in the hands of people who don't know how to serve her and seem to wish they didn't have to. Then suppose in one day, on top of these things, you learn that your government is trying to ensure that he won't be able to work and will have no source of income for the rest of his life, and that no people like her from other countries will be able to come in and make our country worse because it gets more people like her.

So that's why I share the news that is threatening my child and denigrating all people with disabilities. That is why I won't stop. It doesn't mean I'm not enjoying my life, my work, my family. I am. But it does mean that I feel my family is under attack by my own government. And it does mean that I really do need your help. Please call your senators and representative, several times if possible, and ask them to not repeal critical ACA provisions, not to block grant or cut Medicaid in any way, not to cut SSI for people with disabilities, and not to prevent people with disabilities from immigrating to our country. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment