Saturday, January 21, 2017

Being a voice for the voiceless


I went to the Women's March on DC - Indianapolis today, along with thousands of other people who care about inclusion, equality and justice. I fervently believe in core concepts of this march. Women's Rights are Human Rights. Freedom of religion. Love is love and the freedom to be who we are and love whom we choose. Education for all. Immigrants add value. Black Lives Matter. Diversity is beautiful. And of course, health care is a right, not a privilege. All of it.

It concerns me, though, that these concepts promoted by speakers and signs are rarely focused on the rights of people with disabilities. Just like women, people with disabilities are a huge demographic. About 19 percent of Americans have a disability. Yet able-bodied and nimble-minded activists pay little heed to the threat on civil liberties for people with disabilities. Little heed is paid to the idea of Medicaid Block grants being championed by many conservatives, and the devastating effect that could have on people with disabilities, for example. Or how repeal of the ACA and the return of pre-existing condition exclusions, and annual and lifetime maximums, could literally kill a number of people with disabilities. Or how the nominee for the Secretary of Educations seems to have little grasp of IDEA and the rights to a Free and Appropriate Public Education for students with disabilities. These issues are core to the concerns of people with disabilities, but as is always the case, they have impact on millions of other people, too - especially individuals who are most vulnerable. People living in poverty, children, the working poor, and many others will be hurt by these policy moves as well.

So I am deeply happy about the Women's March. I am privileged and downright joyful that I had the company of so many people who care so deeply about humanity today. As for me, I will continue first to seek ways to show others how people with significant disabilities need programs currently being threatened to live, to function, to allow their families to function, and to make it possible for them to contribute to our communities, states and country. In so doing, I aim not to be in conflict with other activists, but to add value to their efforts for justice. My Lord and Savior tells me to Love Mercy. Seek Justice. And walk humbly with my Lord. For my son and for my faith, and for the lives of so many others, that's #WhyIWalk.

I love someone who has no voice. For him, for our family, and for many families like ours, I will rally. I will write. I will fight. I have a voice. I have not just a right, but a clear obligation, to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment